Review of Aziza's Hands, Arms & Poses

Aziza's oft-repeated wisdom is: "Be amazed."

At one point while I was doing this video, I thought: "Dude, if I found my body doing what hers is doing, in the way that hers is doing it, I sure would be amazed!"


When you see the title of the DVD, namely Hands, Arms & Poses, you can be forgiven for thinking this video will give you ideas for things to do with your hands and arms while you dance. And it does. Aziza covers useful stretches for the hands, does drills to isolate your wrists, teaches lotus hands as well as beautiful positioning of the fingers. And while the arm work centers on the port de bras, there are good tips for moving with intention, and other arm pathways as well.

That said, I kept thinking the video (which I received as a review copy) should have been called something else. Because the real strength of this program is not in giving you a thousand hand or arm positions -- it doesn't -- but in teaching coordination and control. And for that, you have some really fine drills.

After a quite dancey warmup of eight minutes, focusing on the arms especially, you have a variety of exercises. The section called "Drills & Exercises" with "Drills." This 17-minute segment is a great standalone mini practice companion, the bulk of it being slow and steady arm flows layered on top of  rhythmic hip movements. This is the kind of thing that some instructors do have you practice early on (one of mine does), but not reliably, and it is challenging. When I did this section, I had to think that I should probably do it at least once a week. Seventeen minutes can't be that hard, can it?

Aziza is looking to see if you've been doing your wrist isolations.
Next come two sections on foot patterns. In each, Aziza teaches a long combination, has you repeat it a few times in both directions, and then adds changing arm work to it. I've grown to love the teaching technique of drilling a combo with stylistic variations, and I think it's a wonderful way to show what varying arms can do. The first combination is somewhat easier to get a handle on, while the second shows Aziza's ballet training, and has rather more difficult leg work. Aziza doesn't then explain every single arm moves, but you're supposed to follow along and, probably, improvise a bit on your own.
The one thing that drove me absolutely nuts during this section is that once Aziza gets going with the arm stylizations, the camera focuses way too much on her lower body and feet. I found myself wanting to stick my hand through the screen and yank the view up to Aziza's arms!


After some wrist isolations, we move on to the "Poses & Combinations" section. In a way, this is the hardest of all, though it looks the easiest if you're just watching the video. There are three combinations of, well, poses, but the trick is that you're supposed to move with incredible control from one to the next. Imagine a crazy hard tai chi. When I posted about doing Hands, Arms & Poses on Facebook, Lauren Zehara confirmed my suspicion that this is truly hard, but worthwhile, dance practice:
It's very different from what most dancers study in their regular weekly classes. Aziza is assuming that we can do all the basics (hipwork, etc) and challenging us to do that while holding exquisite lines in the body and moving with grace and intention. THAT is challenging at any level, and great stuff to work on!
Why do this kind of work? I think if I'd run across this material a few years ago, I would have thought it pointless and boring. But in the meantime, I've worked with Rosa Noreen's Delicious Pauses, and I took a workshop with Heather Wayman in which she shared some of Nadira Jamal's tricks for using poses to structure improv. Both Rosa and Nadira are well aware of Aziza's work, I know, but through them I was prepped to see the value of this. It is very hard to slow down the way Aziza practices here, and to keep looking good. I found myself naturally checking in on my abs, to see if they were pulled in, because I needed that muscular support to control my movements. And, while I wouldn't do all of the poses, a lot of them were quite beautiful and pleasurable. It became, dare I say it, almost meditative to repeat them with intention.


After a brief, also dance-based cool down, you're done. But you're actually not done. Hands, Arms & Poses includes three performances. One incorporates the movements into an actual dance, another offers a dance with veil, and a third is "vintage Aziza" in a powerhouse performance from 1994. Other extras include photos of Aziza as a young ballet student and beginning bellydancer, and an interview.


Production values are very high. The quality of the film is extremely good, and the video itself is shot in Le Windsor, a nineteenth-century Montréal hotel. Aziza uses real music, from Hollywood Music Center, track information is given, and the music is in time to the exercises, not just a vague backdrop. The one thing I wasn't fond of was the fascination with the feet in the foot patterns (!), but in other sections of the video the camera knew where to look. This is a gorgeous video, and one I will return to again.


You can get Hands, Arms & Poses at Amazon or via Aziza's website.


Labels: , , , , , , ,